Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Comics I read when I was young

When I was little I remember going to my nanna's house on Saturday mornings. She bought us comics and I was thinking about them today. The first I think she ever got me must have been Look and Learn; it makes me cringe now. Apart from the cringeing (aargh, so wholesome! It looks like a Watchtower!), I remember the smell. It had a similar kind of smell (must have been the paper / ink) to Jackie, which was also more appealing because it was a way into the world of girls, but come to think of it, I didn't see Jackie until a few years later when girls had it at school. My sister was too small to get Jackie when I had Look and Learn, I think she got Bunty instead. My brother got Victor, which was more of a strip comic. Victor had some good characters though; I remember "Alf Tupper, The Tough of The Track" Later I must have given up on Look and Learn because I started getting Shoot, a football comic (in that picture of a Shoot cover I think Martin Chivvers of Spurs is about to be taken out by Tommy Smith of Liverpool, the team I supported). At that point my brother was getting Beano or Whizzer I think. Later again I got Disco 45, a collection of the lyrics of pop songs at the time. I'll tell you about that another time.

No comments: