Monday, January 22, 2007

Favourite Tracks from 2006

We (me, my partner and daughter) generally do a "best tracks of the year" excercise and this year came up with these:

Kanye West - Spaceship
Sufjan Stevens - Decatur
Trivium - Rain
Head Automatica - Please Please Please (Young Hollywood)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Date With The Night
Manu Chao - Clandestino
Orchestre de la Pailotte - Kadia Blues
Novalima - Malato
Evanescence - Going Under
Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra - Ya Fama
Lost Prophets - A Town Called Hypocrisy

Actually some of these have been around for a while, but I guess some years we just don't discover a lot of new music. Last Christmas I got given Kanye West's "Late Registration" and this year I thought I'd buy the first one for my daughter but she doesn't like it much, so I'm listening to it. The Sufjan Stevens album "(Come on Feel the) Illinoise" was my favourite music last year and this Christmas I got another one by him. Trivium and Head Automatica are both my daughter's choices; Trivium in particular is a bit heavy for me. I like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs though, me and sprog can agree on that. We've been into Manu Chao for a while and learnt Clandestino together in the car driving around Wales this Christmas. Orchestre de la Pailotte and Novalima are my partner's choices, Novalima is great stuff, we've been playing that all year. Evanescence is another of the young lass's - that's the name that most people have recognised, I've been going round saying "Oh, this year is quite mixed, our tastes have diverged a bit", thinking the daughter's heavy stuff might be a bit over the top for most people, but Evanescence is the one everyone said they knew and liked. Toumani Diabate is a great african musician playing lovely music. We went to see him in Brighton this year and had a great time.

No comments: