Sunday, January 21, 2007

Trying out Linux

I've just installed Ubuntu Linux and I'm starting to learn how it works and what I can do with it. So far I've been impressed, except the installation took several attempts. I have a 700mhz cpu, 256 MB RAM and a 10GB hard drive, so the server copy of Ubuntu that my boss gave me wasn't going to work. I had started to download the free version of RedHat Linux called CentOS, but I had only downloaded 1 out of 4 cds and I saw lots of stuff about Ubuntu and it was only one cd, so I decided to switch to that. I've a feeling that I'm not getting the best out of it yet though; there are some issues with the media player, but actually I've been pleasantly surprised at the applications and the ease of use. I had to try the installation several times, but I didn't get any difficult questions and most of what I need has worked without me having to make any changes. I've been able to play cds on the media player (called Sound Juicer), browse the Web with Firefox (which means the Operating System auto-configured my broadband router), play games... haven't done much work yet though – having too much fun. My printer installed without a problem and Ubuntu saw my usb stick itself.

Hopefully I'll be able to improve the performance a bit with some tweaking; the Word Processor is a bit slow to start, but it's quite easy to use and some of the most common shortcuts work fine. Surprisingly the dictionary doesn't include Firefox or shortcut (what are those several dictionaries?).

No comments: